Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Empanadas and such

I have to sing (or extol, or write, or evangelize) the praises of Empanada House on Westheimer in West Houston. I was an empanada virgin before discovering this amazing little place last Friday when lunching with a good friend.

Let me just start by saying that I have never been a huge empanada fan. Only knowing of the genre the thick, dry baked ones at Mexican bakeries that have been sitting for hours no doubt. I assumed that all empanadas were similar (yes, I fell prey to the stereotypes) and that pasteis from Brazil were ultimately better and infinitely more delicious. Apparently, I have been misinformed and have been eating the hospital cafeteria version of empanadas before Friday.

So, according to their website, these empanadas are world famous, and I will never doubt that they are. I also recall seeing somewhere that they are from Argentina, which perhaps explains the difference between the boring dry empanadas I have been eating and their delicious, moist and perfectly cooked empanadas.

Ok, now for the good part...my description of their lovely meal...
The first empanada I ate was the gaucho. It was their beautiful, bubbly, crispy/chewy, deep fried but not at all greasy crust enfolded over ground beef cooked in a flavorful, yet light tomato sauce with green olives and chopped hard boiled eggs. The combination of the sauce, the meat and the salty olives with the texture of the eggs was ridiculously good. Even though the sauce was dripping down my chin at one point, I truly didn't notice due to the cloud of euphoria surrounding my tastebuds.

The second was equally as good. The Chuckwagon...Yes, I was also turned off by the name and almost refused to eat it out of shear snootiness. I am very glad that the girl behind the counter was adamant about how awesome it is. She did not steer me wrong. It was tender brisket cooked in a light tomato sauce with perfect seasonings, onions, red wine and mushrooms. Once again, enveloped by a luscious, light, flaky, perfectly cooked, fresh out of the fryer crust. No part was over or undercooked and the fillings perfectly complemented the crust.

Then, I had dessert.

Banana filling with a touch of cinnamon sugar. Nothing else was needed, as this combination proved heavenly. It was a mini empanada, which, had I not been pregnant, would have appreciated. However, it left me jonesing for more, which is why I ended up with 4 extra dessert empanadas to take home and have been slowly eliminating one by one as not to depress myself by the sudden shortage of delicious empanadas. 

Of the dessert empanadas, the best, by far and maybe one of my new ALL TIME favorite desserts is the Evita. It is their homemade dulce de leche, walnuts and sweet potato filling. The gooey, sweet, hot goodness of the dulce de leche melds beautifully with the light, fluffy sweet potato filling and the walnuts add a touch of texture to the whole ensemble. Almost a work of art.

So, walk, don't run to The Original Marini's Empanada House on Westheimer and if you see a pregnant girl in the corner chowing down, please don't disturb her, you may be injured. Consider yourself warned.

1 comment: